What Clippers Size To Use
Clippers are probably the most convenient and effective innovation in the world of hair cutting in the past few decades. Simply put, cutting hair, especially on men, has never been so fast or easy. Heck, the same job could take up to 10 times as long with your good old hair cutting scissors when compared to the convenience and speed of a clipper. There is also the fact that creating short haircuts with maximum accuracy is a big bonus that you get with a clipper. Today we are here to talk about what clippers size to use for different jobs. Let’s not waste any more time and get right to it.
Detachable Clipper SizeOne of the most commonly used types of clipper is the detachable clipper. The detachable part refers to the blade guard or comb on top. In other words, each guard or comb is of a different length or size. They can be detached and replaced with any other size guard comb that fits your model of clipper. These often come in various sizes, at least 5, but usually more than that. Let’s go over the most common sizes of detachable clipper guards and what they are generally used for.
- 3 ¾ blade – This blade will cut hair to ½ inch in length. This length is more than ideal for tapered haircuts, buzz cuts, and children’s haircuts too (boys).
- 3 ½ blade – This blade will cut hair to 3/8 of an inch in length. This blade length is generally used for medium length tapered haircuts, buzz cuts, and short length children’s haircuts.
- 2 blade – This blade will cut the hair to around ¼ inch in length. This length is usually used for very short buzz cuts, short tapered haircuts, short children’s haircuts, and tapering work. It is also used for doing detail work before a short haircut is totally finished.
- 1 ½ blade – This blade length will cut the hair to 1/8 of an inch in length, so very short indeed. This particular blade length is best for ultra short tapered haircuts, extremely short buzz cuts, detail work, and more. It is also used for tapering work, special designs, and other small jobs. Many people use this blade for the clipper over comb technique.
- 1A blade – This blade length will cut the hair to 1/16 of an inch in length. This is best used for extremely short haircuts, near bald buzz cuts, and for trimming and styling facial hair.
- 1 blade – This blade length is more or less like not having a guard over the blade at all. It is best used for the clipper over comb technique, for detail work, working around the ears, and for trimming facial hair.
- 0A blade – This blade length is best used for the clipper over comb technique, detail work, and fades. It is extremely short.
- 000 blade – This blade length is great for the clipper over comb technique and is often used for doing fades and detail work in military style flat top and buzz cut haircuts.
- 0000 & 00000 blade – These are the shortest lengths of blade guard around and are best used for bald fade and near bald fade haircut work.